Ask the Editor
Which word is correct in this sentence: He will easily ........ to it. (adopt/adapt) — Kiran, India
The sentence should be "He will easily adapt to it."
Adopt means "to begin to use or have (a different manner, method, etc.)."
- The school adopted a new method of teaching math.
- Their boss has recently adopted a friendlier manner. [=has started behaving in a friendlier way]
- Did he adopt your point of view?
- We adopted some of the local customs.
Adapt means "to change your behavior so that it is easier to live in a particular place or situation."
- He adapted to living in a colder climate after a few years.
- When children go to a different school, it usually takes them a while to adapt.
- These fish all adapt easily to colder water.
- She has adapted to college life quite easily.
I hope this helps.
Have you tried our new kids vocabulary app, Puku?
For more posts about words, idioms, grammar, and usage, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Don't forget to subscribe to our Word of the Day e-mails!
Click here to try one of our vocabulary quizzes before you go!